What is the DevNet Zone?
It’s the Cisco DevNet developer program brought straight to your door.
It’s the place to learn, code and get inspired, using the tools, resources and code you need to build innovative, network-enabled solutions.
Dive into the DevNet Zone at Cisco Live to learn, discover and get hands-on with Cisco and open source SDKs and APIs.
Who is it for?
The DevNet Zone is for existing and potential Cisco customers and partners who want to:
Produce communication-enabled collaboration solutions
Create network-management solutions, or run their Cisco networks more efficiently
Develop, manage and deploy microservices applications in the cloud
Connect, manage or build Internet of Things applications
Enhance their coding skills, or consult with experts on their existing code
DevNet Zone Activities
There will be an assortment of interactive activities and tutorials taking place in the DevNet Zone. This interactive space allows you to dive straight in and play with the SDKs, along with the help of Cisco experts. Activities include:
Theatre and Classroom Sessions
Overviews, API Deep Dives, discussion panels and coding tutorials. All free to attend by anyone and taking place in the DevNet Zone Theater and Classroom.
See what you want to go to, and then just turn up.
For small groups of 8, in an intimate setting, you’ll be provided with pre-configured laptops and will be expected to code along with the instructor, asking questions along the way. We’ll state whether the Hands-on Workshop is ‘beginner’, ‘intermediate’ or ‘advanced’
Get hands-on and start coding. No experience required. The labs are self-paced tutorials covering five technology areas. Do it yourself and call out if you get stuck – a DevNet team member is only a hand wave away.
See the Cisco teams demonstrating the toolkits and development environments and take a look at integrated solutions developed by partners. It’s all good food-for-thought.
We’ll be featuring key innovations – state-of-the-art concepts and ideas – from Cisco, and would love your input and feedback. The aim is to inspire you, and for you to inspire us too! So come see the DevNet innovations, and meet the innovators in the DevNet Zone.
Hackathon and Network Programability Springboard
We’re also running two other activities the weekend before Cisco Live, in the DevNet Zone (yes – before it opens!)
DevNet Hackathon: July 9 – 10
A traditional Hackathon, focusing on Cloud Collaboration technologies, for anyone interested in developing collaboration solutions incorporating Cisco technology and some 3rd party technologies too.
DevNet Springboard Event: July 9 – 10
A concentrated two day event, focusing on Network Programmability, for anyone wanting to understand the programming interfaces needed to manage your network controllers and devices.
Please note: Registration is separate to Cisco Live registration, and it’s free
API Code Consults in the DevNet Zone
If you’re developing using any of the following APIs or tools, then why not book a 30 minute DevNet API Consult with a Cisco technology expert to talk about any areas you’re stuck on, or just need a second set of eyes? ACI APIs, APIC EM, The DevNet Sandbox, Spark APIs, Tropo APIs. We’re offering these 30 minute 1-on-1 consultations on a first-come-first served basis. They’ll take place from Monday through Thursday in the DevNet Zone, and we’ve made them available to anyone attending Cisco Live!
To request your slot: Go to the Cisco Live Session Catalog and login, click on Schedule a 1:1 Meeting, and follow the steps.
Please note, when selecting your options, the Type of Meeting is DevNet API Consults. Once you’ve selected your preferred date and time slot, you’ll receive an email confirmation.
Cisco Empowered Women’s Network
DevNet welcomes Cisco Empowered Women’s Network attendees to join us in the DevNet Zone for two activities: a talk by Adriana Gascoigne, and a Women in Tech Coffee reception.
Take a look below at the sessions and workshops taking place in the DevNet Zone.
The DevNet Zone activities you get involved in will be determined by the technologies you’re interested in developing on.
Once we’ve finalized the activities for the areas below, we’ll publish our full Activity Matrix right here!
We’ll have sessions, workshops, learning labs and demos on all of the technologies below, and here’s a taster of what you’re learn:
- Develop and integrate value-added applications for Finesse – an agent and supervisor desktop that integrates traditional contact center functions into a thin-client desktop.
- Create custom applications for MediaSense: a platform that provides recording, playback, live streaming, and storage of media, including audio and video, with rich metadata to facilitate easy use.
- Integrate real time voice/video communications and collaboration capabilities such as co-browse, file share and annotation features natively into iOS, Android and industry leading browsers with Tropo.
- Integrate Spark persistent chat rooms and messaging features into your application.
- Enhance your application with cloud-based API-driven interactive voice, SMS text messaging, recording, conferencing, text-to-speech, speech recognition and more.
- Administrate the network. Create, implement and show network configurations.
- Develop your own custom controller and adding dynamic SDN functionality directly into your own applications.
- Host applications on a virtual machine hosting environment directly into the branch router.
- Orchestrate network analytics tasks across the network to allow users to interact with the network as a whole instead of individual devices one at a time.
- Accelerate the evolution of Network Functions Virtualization (NFV).
- Program network devices. Collect, analyze and optimize network traffic. Predict network traffic patterns and schedule application activities on the WAN.
Internet of Things (IoT)
- Capture and translate data and control flows within the network.
- Prototype and design an IoT application in a client-side environment which features fixed and mobile sensors, various Cisco platforms, and cloud connector plug-ins.
- Enable users to discover and interact with things in an environment.
- Manage IoT data based on policy using Cisco Fog Data Services APIs.
- Analyse data, developer cloud applications and enable FAST IT.
- Create and manage a hybrid cloud that combine the benefits of both public and private clouds.
- Use a cloud solution enabling you to manage your network, which also has APIs for things like Location Services for my custom applications.
- Use OpenStack software for creating private and public clouds.
- Define and enforce policies to provide security, monitoring, and performance for network, storage and computing.
- Develop, manage and deploy cloud native applications using the Shipped or Mantl platforms.
Data & Analytics
- Identify, track, control, monitor, and secure IT and non-IT assets across buildings, remote sites, retail locations, manufacturing facilities, and more.
- Define, develop, publish, support and retire your APIs with an enterprise-class ecosystem for API Management and Apps.
- Analyse, capture, curate, search, share, store, transfer, visualize, protect your IoT data.
- Create mobile solutions that enable Push-To-Talk on-premises communications.
- Provide indoor location-based services within your mobile applications.
- Visualize the trends in your data or create a data intensive application using Cisco data developer tools.
- Accelerate context-aware app development, integrate mobile and business apps and slash development time.
- Develop solutions that bring together interactive applications, rich media, and real-time collaboration.
- Share data with SIEM, MDM, EDM, IR, Vulnerability Management and many other critical security technologies found in the enterprise.
- Prepare for and adapt to changing conditions, and withstand and recover rapidly from an attack.
- Integrate your application into the pxGrid – a multivendor, cross-platform network system that pulls together different parts of an IT infrastructure.
Valuable for Network Engineers
– DAVID YARASHUSH, CISCO LIVE SAN DIEGO 2015 ATTENDEE
Self-Paced Labs a Huge Value
– EDWARD ESGRO, CISCO LIVE SAN DIEGO 2015 ATTENDEE
Ability to Interact was Exciting
– ELMER DELOSO, CISCO LIVE SAN DIEGO 2015 ATTENDEE
– WENDELL ODOM, CISCO LIVE SAN DIEGO 2015 ATTENDEE